Montag, 22. Dezember 2008

Resistance against open standards (almost everywhere)

Disclaimer: This entry is full of half-facts and undirected sweeping swipes against all and everybody ... all this is only my personal opinion.
Furthermore I am I'll and have fever ... take everything with a grain of salt, please.

As you maybe have heard, JavaFX is bundled with ON2 video codecs. No idea who decided why to get this proprietary stuff into JavaFX. Even if ON2 is better than Vorbis - why not give users/developers the choice what to use?
After all, its just another proprietary codec - they could have used Vorbis based stuff without breaking any compatibility as far as I know.
Its like integrating just another binary plug, a plug that cannot be simply replaced by a community developed open-source version due to all the patent stuff. They did this after all the troubles they had with the binary plugs when OpenJDK was opened. Maybe the company behind ON2 decided to somehow pay money or share revenue caused by the success of their codecs boosted by JavaFX. Who knows.
I really like JavaFX, but looking at the video codec decision, I still doubt large companies are able to fully understand OpenSource. It isn't just a magical buzzword to increase your revenue.

Another example is Nokia - everything is well in their open-source universe as long as you don't dig deeper.
The bug with most votes is there since the 770 was released: Adding support for Ogg Vorbis audio playback to the device by default.
The N800 does support all the proprietary stuff like wma, real audio, mp3, aac ... but when MANY users ask for ogg the company is silent.
So what do users of Nokia's internet tablet get? They'll get support for Silverlight, I bet the stuff developed by Novell. Nobody opened a bug-report asking for silverlight support, but many asked for java support in the maemo-mailing lists.
Well, of course Novell's pushing of .NET into Linux doesn't have anything to do with their Microsoft deals.
And some former important developer now anxiously awaits advent of "his" technology conquering the linux world pushing it into Gnome. I doubt he will be celebrated anyway if that succeeds.

There seems to be a huge resistance against open standards, everybody likes squeeze money out of users, by not letting the users decide and forcing them into a format trap. And no, installing a WMA encoder with Windows by default is not choice in my eyes.
I am not against proprietary code, nor am I against large companies. I just would like to have the choice, and choice implies open standards.

By the way ... Merry Christmas :)

Kommentare:

rkennke hat gesagt…

Well said. Get better Clemens!

opening an account with US funds hat gesagt…

how exactly is h264 an open standard when distributing content encoded with it means you owe the mpeg-la royalties on any software you plan to make any kind of money on?

on2 specifically solves this problem since VP6 encoded content is royalty free to distribute any way you like.

hub hat gesagt…

VP6 is not free. like h264, its implementation requires patent license. saying otherwise is just lying.

Theora and Dirac are patent royalty free (extensive research has been made to check that, and existing known patents has been donated irrevocably)

Linuxhippy hat gesagt…

O2 activly stops people from building even only free _de_coders, playing the old Intellectual Property game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP6

I don't care wether I am allowed to distribute it anyway I like it, I don't like the fact that I am forced to distribute my video data with a format completly controlled by a single company, e.g. sueing free software developers creating players for it.


> how exactly is h264 an open standard
I wasn't talking about h264, I was talking about ogg theora: http://www.theora.org/
Its completly patent and royality free, free to distribute, to hack ... you are free to do whatever you like with it.

opening an account with US funds hat gesagt…

@hub,

Yes, that would be lying if that's what anyone said, but I specifically said distributing CONTENT. Per VP6's FAQ:
"On2 combines IP licenses and software licensing fees into a single set of license terms and charges NO FEE FOR DISTRIBUTION OF CONTENT."

@linuxhappy
I understand that from a hacking perspective, it might be fun to play with codec code, but from a serious multimedia perspective, Theora is just not there in terms of NLE support. No serious content provider is going to touch it if they can't export an FCP or Premiere timeline directly to it.

Linuxhippy hat gesagt…

so, why don't I have the choice then? One codec for "professionals" and one who care about open licenses.

After all, its not only about hacking the codec. It has to do that I transform my own information into a format which belongs to a company, taking away a lot of freedom.
And after all, its that company deciding what I can do with _my_ content and what I can't.
They already do, by fighting against free players, how could it harm that I can watch VP6 on systems not officially supported by O2?

opening an account with US funds hat gesagt…

You do. There are Theora plugins for DirectShow, OSX, and GStreamer, the underlying video engines used by JMC under Windows, OSX, and Linux, respectively. There's nothing stopping you.

As for why you should use a proprietary codec, well, that's a business and philosophical decision. I'm not interested, personally, in the philosophical argument, but from a business perspective, I use proprietary codecs(WMV/WMA, h264, AAC, mp3, MPG2, etc...) because private companies have invested millions of dollars in creating them and making them work well and, then, in many cases, let me use them for free.

I don't have a philosophical problem with using them and it makes sense to me from a business point of view since my end users will have those codecs already available and the proprietary codec makers have given me integrated tools(FCP, Premiere, Vegas plugins) to efficiently create my content.

user hat gesagt…

Nokia is really annoying and let's say I'm really ANGRY on their stupid behavior.

I'm DO NOT NEED any silverlight crap. I never seen it nor I want to. And I do not rely on WMA after my files ripped with WMP became useless garbage after OS reinstall (big thanks are going to DRM stuff and MS, yep!). After all, this idiocy was so annoying that now I'm using Ubuntu and OGG and more than happy with this choice. This OS and this file format does not attempts to fool me by default and does not places traps and killswitches everywhere when compared to M$ systems.

So now I have music on OGG. And Nokia refuses to make my life simpler but rather willing to add useless Silverlight crap. That's definitely great news (surely I'm ironic here).

P.S. M$ idiocy to push their data formats and software has gone a way too far.

Can you imagine? These morons have pushed IE7 and Silverlight as so called "Software Updates". So, right now I have bunch of DCs (AD Domain Controllers) with ... silverlight and IE7. Can any moron monkey from Redmond please explain: WTF I NEED ALL THIS CRAP ON MY DOMAIN CONTROLLERS, AFTER ALL? And what next? They will push couple gigz of trial Office suite onto my DCs as "update"? Really amazing bunch of idiots!